Effects Of Plastic Pollution To Environment
Despite the fact that plastic elements are harmful for the environment, we, people are still patronizing companies that are using plastic as their product, or using plastics as their main source for packaging. Because plastic has been proven to be so useful to people since the 1950’s we didn’t even realize that we are hurting Mother Earth. This situation was described by the scientist as “an uncontrolled experiment on a global scale”.
We can always see and read articles like these talks about the negative effects of plastics to our environment, but are we aware how? Here are some of the reasons why plastics are not advisable to use. Plastics are made from crude oil. Crude oil emits significant amounts of pollution, meaning it is not biodegradable.
According to an Environment website, plastic takes at least 400 years to biodegrade which results in the following effects.
Plastic pollution affects badly to sea life
- The Natural Environment estimates that approximately 100,000 sea turtles and other marine animals die every year because they get strangled in bags or mistake them for food.
- By 2050, it is predicted that there will be more plastic than fish in the oceans.
- 90% of bottled water and 70% – 90% of tap water contains plastic fibers.
- 15% of the sand is actually grains of microplastic on some beaches in Hawaii.
- 617,000sq miles (three times the size of France) = Great Pacific Garbage Patch between California and Hawaii, which is 50% caused by fishing nets, ropes and lines.
- Massive accumulations of plastic bags block drainage systems. Plastic bag accumulations are one of the most common causes of drainage system clogging. Developing countries are the most affected with this problem.
Plastic pollution is one of the main problems of our society, because it harms humans, animals and plants through toxic pollutants. This toxin goes through the food chain when plastic is ingested by the fish in your table.
In this situation we can apply the golden rule of Confucius “Do not do unto others what you don’t want others to do unto you.” Keep our environment clean so it can save us back. WE HAVE NOWHERE ELSE TO GO.